Sunday, December 6, 2009

Buddha vol.1 - Tezuka

Manga, in contrast to the American super hero style (does it have a short name that it goes by? I wouldn't know.), is simple, or at least that's what I would call it, and very iconic. With Tezuka's work in particular, but my main other comparison would be anime which is in color and is animated so I'm not sure I should make the comparison.
Where I said in my previous post that black and white would make things too complex, the simplicity in Tezuka's characters allows for black and white to be used.
One of the things I like the most about this manga, as well as a few anime shows I've seen, is the exaggeration of expressing. Where you can easily see the emotion from body language even if the motion is impossible in reality.
The second thing I like is where the characters in the story know they are in a story and you see something that is out of place or such. For example, when Chapra is wounded by an arrow and one of the doctors is a modern dressed doctor and another time when Tezuka enters the manga as a doctor (dressed as a modern doctor). There is another time where a character (probably soldier A) mentions the black and white printing was due to a budget cut. To add further example I will take another source, Furi Kuri, where for a clip a few of the characters are in a trailer talking about the previous scene.
Back to Buddha, I like it, if I was bored and the library had the next volume I'd read it. I also was surprised how quickly you can read through it, very little text compared to something like Watchmen (which I can never see to finish reading).

No comments:

Post a Comment